In the laboratory of organic synthesis such a three component reaction has been described recently, and the resulting pyrrole compounds have been further transformed to fused pyrroles and fluorescing pyrrolopyrrole compounds. We want to further expand the synthetic possibilities of this reaction by adding a fourth reactive component in situ, making this a four-component reaction with even wider potential. The challenge lays in finding conditions in which the four components react in the right order with each other, combined with an easy separation technique (e.g. crystallisation). The resulting compounds will be submitted to the biological groups of the KU Leuven for several types of biological screening including an SAR study of anti-HIV activity, anticancer studies, and the investigation of their anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory properties.
- The project is available in the Fall and Spring semester and is open for recently graduated undergraduates (but who have not yet started in their graduate program).
- Number of places available: 1 or 2 per semester.
The Department of Chemistry in Leuven is involved in the organization courses of Bachelor/master of:
- Biochemistry and Biotechnology (the latter together with the department of Biology).
The Department houses a staff of about 30 professors and has 4 divisions:
- Molecular Design and Synthesis
- Molecular and Nanomaterials
- Quantum Chemistry and Physical chemistry
- Biochemistry, Molecular and Structural Biology.