Currently we are investigating the synthesis and characterization of the thia analogs of the pillararenes reported in 2008 by Ogoshi et al. This will involve synthesis of suitable arene (1,4-dimethoxybenzene) building blocks containing sulfur and strategies towards their cyclization to cyclic oligomers. After the synthesis and characterization (e.g. crystal structure), the behaviour as supramolecular hosts in combination with several guests will be investigated. This work not only includes the common methods towards structural analysis, such as NMR and MS, but also the use of cyclic voltammetry, IR-absorption, crystallography and other methods.
- The project is available in the Fall and Spring semester.
- Number of places available: 1 or 2 per semester.
- Biochemistry and Biotechnology (the latter together with the department of Biology).
The Department houses a staff of about 30 professors and has 4 divisions:
- Molecular Design and Synthesis
- Molecular and Nanomaterials
- Quantum Chemistry and Physical chemistry
- Biochemistry, Molecular and Structural Biology.